Friday, October 16, 2009

LIVESTRONG CEO, Doug Ulman, Honoree on October 29 at Gala for Stamford-Based Cancer Foundation: The Craig D. Tifford Foundation

If you read the first blog entry here, you'd know that on September 13, I'd attempted to ride 200 miles as a LIVESTRONG Grassroots event. Almost 3/4 of the way through, I had to stop due to a hamstring injury. I saw an orthopedist named Dr. Tifford. Dr. Tifford is a Stamford-based orthopedist who was referred to me by my primary care physician. We noticed at that first visit that we both were wearing the LIVESTRONG wristbands. By then, I had begun our local LIVESTRONG Army and let him know that, if he ever wanted to do something to support the Lance Armstrong Foundation, that would be great. He gave me a funny smile and said, "Sure."

When I had to follow up with him, I couldn't find his number, so I Googled him and then laughed. I realized why I got the strange smile when I invited him to "get involved."

From his website, http://www.cdtfoundation.org:

"I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in January of 2002. My biopsy results revealed that I had choriocarcinoma, a rare, malignant and highly aggressive form of testicular cancer that had already spread to my abdomen, liver and lungs. At the time my wife, Gail, was 3 months pregnant with our second child and my son, Jason, was almost two years old. The diagnosis was shocking, as I had been leading a healthy and active life as a husband, father and orthopedic surgeon... The Craig D. Tifford Foundation exists to provide funding for research, to increase public awareness and to further patient education and support for men with testicular cancer. We are dedicated to improving the lives of patients and their families during and after cancer care."

I have since followed up with him (he has also been working with me after I was hit by a pick-up truck biking home on October 1), and I discovered that October 29th is The Craig D. Tifford Foundation's Seventh Annual Gala Benefit.

The AMAZING Doug Ulman, CEO of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, will be receiving the Orchid of Life 2009 Award and will be there!

I will be working at the event, and I would love to see some of you there, if you can make it!

The Craig D. Tifford Foundation's Seventh Annual Gala Benefit will be held on Thursday, October 29, 2009 in New York City at Twenty-Four Fifth. Please join us from 7:00 to 10:00 for an amazing night of reognition, special musical entertainment, cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, live auction, raffles and a "Great Time with Great Friends for a Great Cause".

http://www.cdtfoundation.org/events.html

Let's do whatever we can to #beatcancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about free speech, etc, but I have to ask that comments are respectful of other readers, the fact that I, and many of us who follow this blog, support LIVESTRONG, and that you reserve Lance or LIVESTRONG bashing for another forum. As of right now, I'm still allowing Anonymous postings, however, that may not be the case in the future. Thanks!